Saturday, February 19, 2011

Millennium Music Conference & Showcase, Siamese Sundown, Maddam Ink, & Identity X, Gullifty's Underground, Camp Hill, Pennsylvania


A sampling of hard rock and metal acts from the Millennium Music Conference & Showcase

I headed home to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to catch a few acts from the Millennium Music Conference and Showcase, a smattering of regional acts that converge on Harrisburg each year. Though a number of venues had bands on Saturday night as part of the showcase, I hadn’t really heard of any of them, so it was a lot of guess work in listening to MP3 samples online to determine where our best bet for the evening would be. I let my brother do the legwork and pick the venue that most interested him, which meant music a little more geared towards heavy metal and hard rock that I typically listen. Nonetheless, I’m always open to seeing new music and experimenting with new genres, so I was looking forward to the night. Michael decided to wear his Mohawk up in full regale for the evening to give us some cred as compared to my button down shirt and hipster glasses.

Gullifty's was nearly empty when we arrived a little before 9 and didn’t ever get that much more crowded as the night wore on. We were treated to 3 acts in the evening – Siamese Sundown, Maddam Ink, and Identity X, in order of appearance. Siamese Sundown was probably the tamest of the group and the least favorite of both Michael and me. Maddam Ink was the hardest, our choice for the most talented musicians and best songwriting as well as our favorite act of the night. The third, though not as talented, was enjoyable and won the prize for the most enthusiastic and best stage presence as they were ecstatic to just be part of the event. The lead guitarist was running through the crowd and jumping through the air for much of the show. It was approaching midnight when we finally left, content that the past 3 hours of music were well worth the $5 cover charge. I also paid my $6 bar tab for the night on the way out. Apparently, Saturday nights classify as happy hour at Gullifty's. I love Harrisburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment