Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fruit Bats, Black Cat, Washington, DC

The Alt. Country Shins

Though we made it in time for the opening act, it was quite forgettable in every way. I can barely remember what they even sounded like as we sat at tables in the back club. Though I wasn’t familiar with the Fruit Bats at all before the show, other than a three minute YouTube clip, the venue was crowded and its attitude matched. From the clip I heard, I thought the show would be much more pop, but it ended up being more alternative country than anything, quite a pleasant surprise. Eric Johnson, the lead singer of the Fruit Bats since its formation in 2001 recently also joined indie icons The Shins. Oddly, his voice is very similar in tone and quality to James Mercer, the actual lead singer of The Shins. Go figure. It was a solid, enjoyable set, but the one thing that I consistently hate about weekday shows at the Black Cat is that they always start so late.

No comments:

Post a Comment