Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mayer Hawthorne & the County, 9:30 Club, Washington, DC

The soul of Motown comes east

It was a night for some Motown soul. I had seen Mayer Hawthorne a few times before including at a festival and his last time in DC at the Black Cat. I knew he always puts on a solid performance so I was looking forward to seeing him again. I was also there with Jesse, a friend from Michigan who was excited to some music from his roots. Mayer Hawthorne just has a beautiful voice and incredible range, reaching the highest of notes with seemingly little effort. His voice is matched with great Motown style, both musically and visually. He played his usual but solid setlist, including mostly originals and a few interesting covers by Busta Rhymes, Hall & Oates, and Lee Dorsey as well as “Just Ain't Gonna Work Out”, an original song, but one that’s so Motown soul that I could swear that it must have been penned in a few decades ago.

Setlist:
Can't Stop (Tease)
The Walk
Make Her Mine
Dreaming
Your Easy Lovin' Ain't Pleasin' Nothin'
One Track Mind
Stick Around
Do My Thing
No Strings
Shiny and New
I Wish It Would Rain
You Make My Dreams Come True
A Long Time
Finally Falling
Green Eyed Love
A Strange Arrangement
Get Out Of My Life Woman
Just Ain't Gonna Work Out
Hooked
You Called Me
Maybe So, Maybe No
The Ills
Henny and Gingerale

No comments:

Post a Comment