Sunday, June 3, 2012

Radiohead, Verizon Center, Washington, DC

All the Radiohead, none of the rain

I was excited to again see Radiohead, one of my favorite bands, even if I had doubts regarding how their most recent, more experimental album, The King of Limbs, would translate to the stage. For better or worse, this show would be at Verizon Center instead of Nissan Pavilion. So while I would not have to battle the torrential downpour of their last show, the epic backdrop of it was also lacking. I was excited though to be on the floor instead of the lawn. I of course also made sure to arrive early enough to be fairly close to the stage, probably about 30-40 feet.

The night was opened by electrohouse musician Caribou. While nearly absent of vocals, his high energy set was a good start to the evening. Shortly thereafter, Radiohead took the stage. The first thing I noticed was just how short and goofy looking Thom Yorke is up close. He was unmistakable as the music started and he busted out his strange little dance moves that are featured in the new “Lotus Flower” video. The stage and the lights were set up beautifully with more moving LED screens. However, it the best use of medium that I had seen thus far. They were some really creative color and lighting schemes that enhanced the music well. In particular was when they lowered the lit screens to be directly above their heads, making the huge arena feel like an intimate club.

They jumped around from old to new songs. Their setlist included two songs from both OK Computer (1997) and Kid A (2000), one from Amnesiac (2001), three from Hail to the Thief (2003), four from In Rainbows (2007), and seven from The King of Limbs (2011). They also threw in a four additional oddities from old EPs, new B-sides, or yet to be released. I would have liked to hear a little less of the newest, experimental, and subdued album but I liked what I did hear of it for the most part. I did not like how Yorke’s voice was modulated on “Kid A,” but at least they were trying something new. I was also disappointed that I did not get to hear “Idioteque,” perhaps my favoriate Radiohead song and a staple of many of their shows. They also played several songs that I didn’t recognize at all; I assume they were a few of their recent one off singles released digitally and on YouTube. The whole evening consisted of a solid two hours and indulged us with two separate encores.

Setlist:
Bloom
Airbag
Kid A
Bodysnatchers
Staircase
Codex
Meeting in the Aisle
The National Anthem
Nude
Morning Mr. Magpie
Identikit
Lotus Flower
Go to Sleep
The Gloaming
Feral
There There
Encore 1:
You and Whose Army?
15 Step
Supercollider
Paranoid Android
Encore 2:
Give Up the Ghost
Separator
Reckoner

No comments:

Post a Comment