Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: Year in Review

Another year of concerts. Even with spending almost a quarter of the year in a country where live music is illegal, I was able to match my 2011 total number of attendances with 27, including 21 concerts (exact same as last year), 1 single day festival, 4 multi-day festivals in which I only attended one day, and 1 multi day festivals in which I attended each day, bringing my average up to an event every 13 days. At least thirteen of these shows were sold out, perhaps more that I didn’t realize.

Again, I saw more shows in the DC area than anywhere else (14), with 9:30 Club (5) the most common venue. The cities and venues were a lot more varied this year than many previous including five shows in Chicago and additional shows in Harrisburg, Los Angeles, Dover, New York, and Philadelphia. Oddly, I only made it to one show in Baltimore, the city I called home for most of the year.

Again, I saw at least one show on every day of the week, but this year Sunday (9) was the leader, following by Tuesday (5) and Thursday (5). I didn’t end up going to too many shows on Friday (2) and Saturday (4) nights.  July was the leading month (7) with June (6) close behind. Somehow January and March were both barren. October and November were also, but that is because I was abroad for nearly the entire time in a country which live music doesn’t exist.

Including all the bands that I specifically remember seeing, and therefore wrote about, I saw a total of 69 performances by 62 artists. Of those, only 12 were bands that I have seen before; the remaining 50 were artists that I was seeing for the first time. This included 23 acts at single concerts, another 16 at the multiday Firefly Music Festival , and 30 at other festivals. I saw Modest Mouse three times and several bands twice, including Bruce Springsteen, Death Cab for Cutie, Explosions in the Sky, The Killers, and Sigur Rós. For both Bruce Springsteen and Sigur Rós, neither event was at a festival. Both Explosions in the Sky performances were at a festival, though I would have gladly paid to see them do their own show.

Concerts are always more fun with friends, but this year due to various circumstances, I saw five shows, including two festivals, by myself. For the first time since I’ve been keeping track, Jeff Schiz (5) wasn’t the top person to attend with me, though he was still high on the list. Ben Trajtenberg (8) was number one followed by Lindsey Havko (6). Rick Nieves (4), Eric Stahl (4), Ben Summers (2) and Samet Gursel were the only others with more than one. 

I also went to a much pricier set of shows with year with a total ticket cost of $1,565, over 40% more than last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment