Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Naked & Famous, Riviera Theatre, Chicago, Illinois

With another Wednesday night show at “the Riv,” I’m getting closer to getting around to visiting all of the major Chicago concert venues. We arrived quite early but instead of heading nearest the stage as we could, we instead opted for a still-standing, but raised GA section a little further back. This way, the short young ladies in our party could easily see the stage. It was a good call, as the light show was quite impressive and worth seeing in full from a little further back. The five members of The Naked & Famous took the stage well before 9pm, when I again immediately learned the band was not from round these parts (New Zealand this time). Lead vocalist Alisa Xayalith was apparently ill, but sounded okay and made her way through all the songs.

Before the show started, I noticed that they had quite an intense lighting system in the works. I didn’t realize how intense until the show started and it kicked in. It was one of the better that I’ve seen for a smaller show, but it was really almost too bright for comfort. During the first few songs, I had to look away from the stage. I had brought my earplugs (also required) but didn’t think to wear my sunglasses. Fortunately, after a few minutes my eyes either adjusted to the light or they dimmed the lights a bit. They played a lot from their newest album, In Rolling Waves (2013), which I had only listened to for the first time earlier that day but enjoyed what I heard, both on the album and live. They also played extensively from their debut album, Passive Me, Aggressive You (2010). There was less dancing than I thought there would be, especially considering the fairly young crowd and electropop influenced songs.

Approximate Setlist:
A Stillness
Hearts Like Ours
Girls Like You
Rolling Waves
The Sun
The Source
Frayed
I Kill Giants
Grow Old
All of This
Punching in a Dream
What We Want
No Way
Encore:
To Move With Purpose
Young Blood

No comments:

Post a Comment