Sunday, November 9, 2014

Sun Kil Moon, Park West, Chicago, Illinois

On a bit of a whim, I decided to see Sun Kil Moon, a moniker for singer-songwriter Mark Kozelek. I had been a fan of his since I discovering his album of Modest Mouse covers several years ago and had enjoy his own music as well. However, it was his most recent album, Benji (2014), that finally came to be a high rotation selection on my stereo. I enjoy his voice and the personal stories he tells through his lyrics.

I had been to Park West once before for Matisyahu. Previously, most of the theatre was laid out as first-come, first-serve tables with a GA section up front. I assumed there would be a similar set up for this show, so I planned to slip up into that front GA section as the show started. I was happy to stand. I was disappointed to find that there were now seats in this section, all of which were full. Though it took some searching, I was able to find an open seat just one section back. I would have enjoyed being a bit closer for a quiet show like Sun Kil Moon but not bad for showing up at the last minute. I was also a bit annoyed to find that even as the show was starting, there were a dozen or more seats marked “reserved.” There was no opener, so I slid into my seat just a few minutes before Sun Kil Moon took the stage.

It was once again a case in which I wasn't sure who to expect on stage. However, this time I really thought that it would just be him with his guitar, but when I entered the theatre I noticed a much larger set up. He took the stage with three other musicians – drums, electric guitar, and keyboards. Mark Kozelek played the acoustic guitar, though put it down for a half dozen songs, just using his voice. He also invited another artist on stage to sing a few songs. They did one of each of their songs, plus a few others. Like the Damien Rice show, the stage was very dark, such that I could barely see his face the entire show. It created a very pleasant ambiance, even though my pictures didn't turn out very well.

He was funny and personable on-stage with a wry, dark sense of humor. Those on stage with him were all old friends and musical collaborators. Throughout the set, he gave all of them a hard time, dispensing joking insults like, “What kind of tempo is that? What am I paying you for?” The aforementioned insult also speaks to the experimental, casual nature of the show. He was figuring out the tempo and the songs as he went throughout the show. On one occasion, he restarted a song not once but twice. For another song, he required a copy of the lyrics in front of him. Not wanting to turn up the house lights, he instead opted to borrow the phone of a woman in the front row to use for a light source.

He has an extensive catalogue and in addition to his Sun Kil Moon songs, he played songs from the various groups/duos with which he has made music over the years. I wasn't familiar with many of these songs, but most of his songs are stories, so it was easy to become engaged. It was also quite glad to be able to find a setlist after the show and pleased that his set did include at least a couple songs from Benji. . While he didn't specifically say he was taking requests, he honored the few people that did yell out song titles, once noting, “I forgot about that one, yeah, we should do that.”

I was told by the venue that he would play from 7:30 to 9. However, though he came out more or less on time, his set lasted until almost 10 including an encore break of only a minute or so.

Setlist:
I Know It's Pathetic but That Was the Greatest Night of My Life
Gustavo [Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle song]
Black Kite
Caroline [Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle song]
Dogs
Micheline
He Always Felt Like Dancing [Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle song]
I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love
Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes
I Got You Babe [with Advance Base]
Natural Light [Casiotone for the Painfully Alone cover] [with Advance Base]
Jim Wise [with Advance Base]
I Watched the Film the Song Remains the Same
Hey You Bastards I'm Still Here [Mark Kozelek & Desertshore cover]
War on Drugs: Suck My Cock
Encore:
Ceiling Gazing [Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle cover]
Carissa
Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment