Thursday, August 27, 2015

Billy Joel, Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois

I have wanted to see Billy Joel since I was about twelve years old. He was on tour sometime following his last album pop music album, River of Dreams (1993), and I had tickets to see him in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, he cancelled the show, and I was unable to make the rescheduled date. About twenty years later, I finally had a second opportunity.

Joel had lined up pop rock singer-songwriter Gavin DeGraw as his opening act for the evening, who was already on stage when we arrived around 8pm. I have never been much of a fan, but he played at least a couple songs that I recognized, including “I Don't Want to Be” and “Not Over You.” He also covered a popular Billy Joel song “Big Shot” that wouldn’t make it into Joel’s setlist later, which I thought was a good touch. Our seats were located to the far house right, but we were in the first row off the first base line with our feet again the brick wall. We had both a clear view of the stage and a large set of speakers pointed directly at us. It was a major improvement over my experience for Bruce Springsteen’s last visit to Wrigley Field, the only other show that I had seen there. We also had our own row, which was a lovely little bonus.

Gavin DeGraw Setlist:
Soldier
In Love with a Girl
Fire
Sweeter
Chariot
Best I Ever Had
Big Shot [Billy Joel cover]
I Don't Want to Be
Heaven [Bryan Adams cover]
Not Over You

Billy Joel took the stage at just about 9pm. He had a large band with him, but it was difficult to gauge exactly how many from our distance and angle and because the large screens only ever showed him. Except for a short solo here and there, his band didn’t get to showcase their own individual talents very much. The jumbotron flashed that it was Joel’s fourth time at Wrigley Field, more than any other artist. At 66, he looks old and quite overweight, but still exuded quite a bit energy, even without leaving his piano bench. Spending decades touring around the world hadn’t robbed him of his thick Bronx accent.

Though he released a dozen albums from the early 70s to the early 90s, Joel hasn’t released a new album of pop music since 1993. This excludes Fantasies & Delusions (2001), an album of classical compositions written by Joel and performed by his friend, classical pianist Richard Joo. As such, Joel’s tours don’t aim to introduce his fans to any new music, and his setlists are essentially a greatest hits collection, cycling through all the songs that make him a household name. On five separate occasions, he gave the audience a choice between a pair of songs and played the one that evoked the loudest response. I was a bit disappointed that this kept me from hearing “No Man’s Land” that evening, a less popular song from River of Dreams that has always been a personal favorite. The audience also missed out on “New York State of Mind,” which wasn’t surprising considering the Chicago setting.

While most fans on the field stood throughout the show, I was a bit surprised that nearly everyone in the stands sat through the majority of the show. Having our own row and my legs dangling over the wall, I could still dance in my chair quite comfortably though. There were a few songs like “River of Dreams” and “We Didn’t Start the Fire” that I thought would excite everyone a bit more and encourage them to get to their feet.

Joel chatted a bit with the audience between songs but didn’t share too many stories. Too bad, I’m sure he would have plenty of good ones. His main set ended at 11pm. Due to the curfew, I assumed it would be the end of the show, but he ended up returning for a four song encore. Actresses Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer joined him on stage and provided some backing vocals on “Uptown Girl.” It must be fun to be famous.

Billy Joel Setlist:
Big Shot
My Life
This Is the Time [Audience vote over "Summer, Highland Falls]
The Entertainer
All for Leyna [Audience vote over "No Man’s Land"]
The Downeaster Alexa
The Longest Time [Audience vote over "Honesty"]
Allentown
Goodnight Saigon
The Ballad of Billy the Kid
Just the Way You Are [Audience vote over "New York State of Mind"]
Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
The Stranger [Audience vote over "Say Goodbye to Hollywood"]
Keeping the Faith
Sometimes a Fantasy
Don't Ask Me Why
She's Always a Woman
We Didn't Start the Fire
The River of Dreams
Take Me Out to the Ballgame [Interlude]
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Piano Man
Encore:
Uptown Girl
It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
You May Be Right
Only the Good Die Young


No comments:

Post a Comment