Saturday, May 31, 2014

Kishi Bashi, Metro, Chicago, Illinois

Despite injuring my back the previous weekend, I was excited enough to see Kishi Bashi to follow through with seeing his performance at Metro. However, considering the pain of just standing upright, I decided to just show up right before the beginning of his set, as I had no interest in spending any more time there on my feet than I had to. I also took an extra pain pill upon arrival with the hope that I wouldn't be too uncomfortable during the show. Unfortunately, my back bothered me the entire show, but it was tolerable, and I made it through the entire show, including the encore. If the show wasn't sold out, it was certainly close to it, but even showing up at the last minute, I was able to comfortably squeeze in right in front of the soundboard, such that I could rest against it for some of the show.

Kishi Bashi is the pseudonym of Japanese-American singer, multi-instrumentalist, and songwriter Kaoru Ishibashi. After some success as a touring member of several bands, he released his debut solo album, 151a in 2012. He had also just released his sophomore album, which I hadn't yet heard. As such, I was hearing many of the songs for the first time that evening, most of which I enjoyed. His catalog isn't all that deep, so his setlist included the majority of his songs. He was accompanied by a full band, including a guitarist, keyboardist, drummer, and a very talented banjoist.

The best word to use to describe his music is joyful. It’s light and fun with soaring melodies. This was punctuated with confetti explosions towards the end of the show, while he crowd surfed with a go-pro atop a long stick to film himself. The show in total was only about eighty minutes of music, which considering my back, was fine with me.

Setlist:
Debut - Impromptu
Philosophize in It! Chemicalize with It!
Carry on Phenomenon
Bright Whites
Wonder Woman, Wonder Me
Hahaha Pt. 1
Hahaha Pt. 2
Impromptu No. 1
Beat the Bright Out of Me
Atticus, in the Desert
Evalyn, Summer Has Arrived
Bittersweet Genesis for Him AND Her
I Am the Antichrist to You
Manchester
Encore:
The Ballad of Mr. Steak
Live and Let Die (Wings cover)
It All Began With a Burst

No comments:

Post a Comment