Friday, October 9, 2009

Yonder Mountain String Band, 930 Club, Washington, DC

Of my many concerts, I’ve seen few bands as many times as progressive bluegrass quartet Yonder Mountain String Band. Though their live albums often don’t compare, their live performances are of consistently high caliber. Friday night was perhaps my sixth or seventh YMSB show and my second at the 930 Club, one of my favorite venues. Schiz, who is a staple of nearly every Yonder show I’ve seen, picked up tickets for the both of us along with his girlfriend Ali and friend Jason. We arrived at the venue shortly before show time, too late for any openers that might have played. Though the show had sold out shortly before we walked in, the floor seemed fairly scant, though much of the crowd was dressed in plaid and other appropriate bluegrass apparel. Within a few minutes after 9pm, Yonder was on stage with their traditional set up of banjo, guitar, mandolin, and upright bass.

We found a spot towards the back right corner and joined the crowd in getting warmed up for the show. They threw together a nice mix of old and new songs. Slow and tender selections would transition into rhythmic and energetic jams. The venue filled up as the crowd excitedly danced and jumped to favorites like “Left Me in a Hole,” “Too Late Now,” “Idaho,” “Just the Same,” “If There's Still Ramblin' in the Rambler (Let Him Go),” and “Troubled Mind.” I found myself not knowing the names of many of the songs, but being inexplicably familiar with many of the words, notes, and rhythms. I gradually felt our group slide further back in search of more room to dance. The plucking banjo and smooth base lines encouraged the crowd to hoedown, with some groups breaking off into circles, men swinging their female partners. Towards the end of the show, I joined a small group of guys in a symphony of clapping hands, each member choosing an interval that would be distinct yet still harmonious with the group. Two sets, two encores, and three and a half hours later, my face glowed from both a smile and an ample amount of sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment