Saturday, November 21, 2009

Umphrey’s McGee, 9:30 Club, Washington, DC

Across many genres in the music industry, it’s very common that bands are able to put together solid albums, but lack the energy and innovation required for a fun and interesting live show. The jam band scene differs substantially in this regard, in that popular bands may produce many lackluster albums but develop a following stemming from word of mouth regarding their live performances. These are the bands whose albums I’ve never desired to listen to more than once, but thoroughly enjoy each live show I see. To me, Umphrey’s McGee is the archetype of this latter model.

In front of their key demographic of 22-35 year old hippies and other white people with hippy-ish tendencies, Umphrey’s McGree, sans opener, took the stage early on Saturday night to finish up their two night run at the 9:30 Club. It was my second time seeing them at the 9:30 Club, and the third overall, so I knew I was in for a fun evening. Since I’m not a diehard fan, there were only a few songs that I specifically recognized and none of them by name. Nevertheless, it was an energetic and enjoyable show with an enthusiastic crowd. The six piece band, including 2 guitarists, bassist, keyboardist, and 2 percussionists, played their two sets of selections from their ever-changing setlist, complete with crowd interaction and ample improvisation throughout the entire evening. Though perhaps forgettable, it was a great way for friends to spend a Saturday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment