Monday, October 12, 2015

The Word, Concord Music Hall, Chicago, Illinois

The Word ended up being another show that I decided to attend on my own at the last minute. I even showed up without a ticket, just purchasing one at the door. It was my first time at Concord Music Hall, a nice, mid-sized venue in Wicker Park.

The Word is the combination of gospel steel guitarist Robert Randolph and southern rock/blues band North Mississippi Allstars. They released an album nearly 15 years ago, then went their separate ways to concentrate on their normal projects. The reunited for a follow up album, Soul Food (2015), which was released earlier this year. I knew that seeing Randolph play the steel guitar would be a treat and assumed I wouldn’t be able to see it with this configuration of artists again for some time. When I arrived, I was surprised by how few people were there. I could have easily walked up to the stage even a few minutes before their main set. I was a bit worried for them, I hoped the tour was going better than the number of people I saw that night would have indicated. It probably didn’t help that the Cubs were playing St. Louis in game three of the National League Division Series over at Wrigley Field that evening. While it never filled up completely, it did get a little more crowded by the time that the show started. They put on a rocking show playing songs from their new album as well as what I believe were songs from each band, plus a few covers. Quite a few songs were just extended jams.

No comments:

Post a Comment