Saturday, August 9, 2014

Mimicking Birds, The Hideout, Chicago, Illinois

On a whim, I decided to see the Portland-based Mimicking Birds. I was familiar with the band through their association with Modest Mouse, one of my favorite bands. Mimicking Birds are signed to Modest Mouse frontman Isaac Brock's Glacial Pace Recordings label. They also share a similar sound.

The band, originally started as a vehicle for Nate Lacy's (vocals, acoustic guitars) home recordings is now filled out by a drummer and a keyboardist. They had just wrapped up a tour with Modest Mouse but were still promoting the release of their second album, Eons.

The Hideout, perhaps the smallest venue I’ve yet attended in Chicago, is located walking distance from my apartment, though a long walk. No more than 80 people were in attendance, with plenty of space still remaining in the venue. After some openers, Mimicking Birds got a late start and only played for an hour. Considering that meant I could still get home by midnight, I wasn’t too disappointed. In that hour, I was able to hear a handful of songs that I know and like. Their show was quiet and the lyrics were contemplative, exactly what I would expect from a band signed to Glacial Pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment