Friday, August 15, 2014

One More Time (A Tribute to Daft Punk), House of Blues, Chicago, Illinois

French electronic dance duo Daft Punk currently holds the number one spot on my “artists to see bucket list.” So while a tribute band playing their songs doesn't count as the real thing, since there are not any live vocals or instrumentation, they are about as close an approximation as any “cover band” could get.

The evening started off less than perfectly. After initially being told the show would start at 7:30 or 8:30, with an after party at 10, we arrived to find that the opener didn't even come out until 9, with One More Time taking the stage even later. On top of that the opener was terrible.

However, things picked up when One More Time took the stage. Despite being quite close to the stage, I still had plenty of room to dance, which I did nonstop throughout the set. I’m not sure who the members of One More Time are, but like Daft Punk, the stage show consisted of two people in robot helmets on top of a pyramid. The pyramid lit up and looked much like I would expect Daft Punk’s own to appear, though I assume on a smaller scale and with a more limited budget. Overall, it seemed quite authentic though. Unfortunately, Lindsey wasn't nearly as into it as I was and decided to leave after just a couple songs. However, there were plenty of others around me that wanted to dance.

The band cycled through Daft Punk songs for about 90 glorious minutes, going all the way back to their early mid-90’s hits like “Around the World” to last year’s smash “Get Lucky” and everything in between. I don’t have the exact set list, but I couldn't think of anything that they missed. “Technologic,” “Robot Rock,” “Human After All,” “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger” – it was all there. I do specifically remember that they ended on “One More Time,” the song from which the band took its name.

No comments:

Post a Comment