Saturday, August 23, 2014

O.A.R., Wrigley Field Parking Lots, Chicago, Illinois

OAR is another band that I've seen quite a few times, though it has now been a number of years since my last show. I can’t even remember exactly how many. Only a few days before this one, I heard from a friend that they would be playing a free concert outside Wrigley Field immediately following an afternoon Cubs game. While this was scheduled to take place around 4pm, a rain delay meant the concert started closer to 8pm.

We arrived before the end of the game, so it was easy to get pretty close to the stage. By the start of their set, the lot was quite crowded, though I was a bit surprised it wasn't more so, considering that OAR still generally play large venues like Northerly Island and this is way more convenient – on the north side, near an L station, and FREE.

Listening to OAR less frequently than I used to, I had forgotten just how many of their songs I love, especially as they still play a lot of their older songs including “King of the Thing” and “Here’s to You,” which I didn't expect to get to hear. They of course also played staples like “Hey Girl,” “City on Down,” and “That Was a Crazy Game of Poker.” Fans were screaming for “Poker” throughout the show. When they finally did close with their iconic song, many threw decks of cards into the air. That was new practice to me, so I guess it has indeed been a while.

Setlist:
This Town
Love and Memories
One Shot
King of the Thing
Here's to You
Shattered (Turn the Car Around)
Two Hands Up
About an Hour Ago
On Top the Cage
Hey Girl
Favorite Song
Heard the World
Fool in the Rain (Led Zeppelin cover)
Night Shift
Stir It Up (Johnny Nash cover)
Peace
City on Down
That Was a Crazy Game of Poker

No comments:

Post a Comment